Great News for K-3 Teachers in Reference to EL PD and READ Act Required PD-The READ Act Modules Could be Used to Serve Both Purposes!

Great News for K-3 Teachers in Reference to EL PD and READ Act Required PD-The READ Act Modules Could be Used to Serve Both Purposes!

by Mitzi Swiatkowski -
Number of replies: 0

Good Morning All,

One of the consortium teachers emailed me with a question about the EL and READ Act PD requirements.  She had been reviewing the READ Act online module introduction.  It indicated that many ELL strategies are included in the online program.  This was her question, "Is there a possibility that this class/program could also count toward the 45 hours of ELL training that we need in order to renew our teaching license?"  I emailed Jennifer Simons who works in licensure at CDE in Educator Talent as an Educator Development Principal Consultant.  She responded with, "This should be fine."

If you choose to earn the EL PD hours as you are completing the READ Act PD requirements, please take notes that will allow you to provide a description of how the module addressed the selected elements in the EL PD Matrix.  Jennifer at CDE has told me that "justification is key".  

From my perspective, the READ Act PD will most likely meet EL PD Standard III, Elements A and B related to literacy development.

Teachers will be required to align all of the EL PD with a standard element in the EL PD Matrix and will need to justify how it aligns with the element.  1 hour will be required in each element and the other hours can go under any of the elements as long as they can be justified under the element.  

CDE designed a new matrix that can be found at the link below (with a short video that explains how to use the matrix).  Scroll down to the blue box to find those items.  They have told me they will accept the old form as well, but the new form might be easier to complete.  I am unable to attach a document to this announcement, but I completed my 45 hours and have an example of the matrix if you would like a model.  Just email me at mitziski@ecboces.org

Thanks so much to the teacher for being proactive in understanding the online READ Act modules and thinking out of the box about meeting the EL PD requirements at the same time!  We will all benefit from her great thinking!