Alternative Licensure Program
SPECIAL EDUCATION GENERALIST TEACHER
GENERAL EDUCATION TEACHER
The ECBOCES Alternative Teacher Pathway is intended to allow districts to hire candidates with specific content knowledge and hold an undergraduate degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and need teacher training based on the Colorado Teacher Quality Standards. While serving as a teacher, our candidates will complete one year of specific teacher preparation courses at our ECBOCES office.
A checklist showing the specific steps to obtain an Alternative License can be found on the Colorado Department of Education website at www.cde.state.co.us/cdeprof/checklist-alt_teacher and www.cde.state.co.us/cdeprof/licensure_altprincipal_faq
The following steps are followed to obtain an Alternative Special Education Generalist or General Education Teacher license:
1. Complete a Bachelor’s degree from a four-year regionally accredited college or university
2. Complete specific fingerprinting and pass a background check through CBI and FBI (specific information can be found on the Colorado Department of Education licensing website)
3. Choose the endorsement area you will be teaching and demonstrate competence (PRAXIS testing or meeting specific content requirements required by the Colorado Department of Education)
4. Obtain a teaching position
5. Obtain an agreement with the ECBOCES Alternative Licensure program to participate in the teacher preparation program. A statement of assurance (SOA) completed and signed by you, your district/employer and the ECBOCES Alternative Licensure program coordinator.
6. Once you have completed at least, 1, 2, and 3 above, view the checklist on the Colorado Department of Education website (address above) and apply for an alternative teacher license using the e Licensing System.
The following steps are followed to obtain an Alternative Principal license:
1. Complete a four year degree at a regionally accredited college or university
2. Pass CBI and FBI background checks
3. Obtain a position and agreement – A position as a Principal or Assistant Principal.
4. Obtain an agreement with the ECBOCES Alternative Licensure program, A statement of assurance (SOA) completed and signed by you your district/employer and the ECBOCES Alternative Licensure program coordinator.
5. Apply for an alternative principal license using the e Licensing system
Note: Upon completion of the alternative principal program, candidates must have passed the PRAXIS test and have completed 3 successful years of teaching in order to apply for a Professional Principal License.
Regular Education and Principals- Gena Ramey: firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Education Generalist and Endorsement: Jeanne Boice-Wiley: email@example.com